Rudolph's Safety Tips
Rudolph’s nose may have glowed, but yule probably rely on electricity to help with holiday decorating. For a cordial holiday season, here’s our plug for electric safety:
Only cords labeled for outdoor use should be used to decorate your yard or outside your home. If not, moisture can short-circuit cords and you might be dashing through the snow looking for something to put out the sparks.
Too many cords plugged in to one outlet can create heat that starts fires. So guard against overloaded outlets or you may be dancing to and fro in search of a fire extinguisher when things start to heat up.
All cords should be completely insulated and all sockets firmly attached to the cords. This protects you from having to prance about when you get a hefty shock from an improperly insulated cord.
Keep lights away from water or there may be a vixen-like reaction when electricity passes through the water, causing injury to anyone who comes in contact with it.
Unplug cords while stringing lights as you decorate. Putting too many strings of lights together could create sparks that light up the night like a comet.
Unplug lights before you go out or to bed. You don’t want them to overheat and start an unexpected fire. Comet might not even clean up that burned spot! We’d rather you use a fireplace to create the rosy, romantic glow that cupid would envy.
When outdoors, keep ladders away from overhead power lines. Keeping a safe distance from power lines will ensure that they don’t get your donder up.
Keep paper and tinsel away from hot lights or there could be a blitzen hot time.
Cover unused electrical outlets with safety caps to prevent injuries to children and pets. You don’t want anyone else’s nose to light up like Rudolph’s.
Whatever your holiday traditions, please celebrate carefully.