You may be interested in plugging into these holiday season safety tips from the Electrical Safety Foundation International:
- Carefully inspect each electrical decoration. Cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
- Don't staple or nail through light strings or electrical/extension cords-you could damage the wire or insulation, which could lead to an electrical shock or fire.
- Don't overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground.
- Before using any light strings, animated displays or other electrical products outdoors, make sure the product is approved by a nationally recognized certification organization and marked "for outdoor use."
- Don't use electrical ornaments or light strings on artificial trees with metallic leaves or branch coverings. This could create an electrical shock.
- It is important to turn off all electrical light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- Follow the use and care instructions that accompany your electrical decorations.
- Whether artificial or freshly cut, a tree should be kept a safe distance away from all sources of heat. Also, make sure the tree doesn't block any exists.
Happy and safe holidays!